We have thousands of photographers using our products and we’re growing. This is a unique opportunity to join our team and build industry-leading AI products.
We're committed to building products for professional photographers who work with people from all genders, ethnicities, racial and religious backgrounds. We think it’s important that our team reflects the same diverse audience. We're actively working to grow a diverse team and offer: flexible and remote working options, 1 month paid parental leave in addition to government leave, 30 hours a week for 6 months on full pay following return from parental leave (for both birthing and non-birthing parents) and extended sick leave to support our team to get through the many things life can throw your way.
About the Role:
You’ll be working on Narrative’s engineering team within our Services team on reliability and automation. The Services team provides support to all areas of the business including other engineering teams, Marketing and AI. Our goal is to provide fast and dependable API and cloud services not only to support our existing products, but also the people who make those products with the data and tooling they need.
You’ll share an on-call roster with other members of the team, and be responsible for triaging, fixing, or escalating production issues when they inevitably arise.
In order to succeed in this role, you will need to be curious. We want people who will bring a fresh perspective, questioning how things are done and experimenting with new approaches and technologies.
You will be our first full-time DevOps engineer, helping to form a vision for the architecture of our systems, preaching best practices and sharing your expertise with our teams.
This is a rare opportunity to have influence and impact on a world-class startup at an early stage and help make it a success.
About our technology:
Our API services are built using Elixir and OTP - providing the API glue that supports both Select and Publish. Behind the scenes we use AWS and Terraform for everything from running our databases to storing and processing our AI datasets. We also have custom CI/CD infrastructure and benchmarking labs for our products.
You might work on:
• Collaborating with your team and coming up with elegant solutions for hard problems.
• Automating manual workflows by developing new tools or scripting old ones.
• Evolving and contributing to our monitoring strategy to ensure that our apps have a solid foundation.
• Helping streamline our deployment and testing workflow by extending CI/CD infrastructure.
• Removing obstacles for our product teams as they build new features or experience growth.
• Business continuity planning and testing.
We're looking for someone who:
• Has a few layers on the onion and is able to make wise choices when things go sideways.
• Has professional experience with infrastructure automation (e.g. Terraform, CloudFormation).
• Experience with Ruby, Python or other common automation scripting language.
• Has a drive to automate the universe.
Nice to have:
• Familiarity with Elixir/OTP, Postgres and Redis.
• Associate-level AWS certification.
• A keen interest in photography.
Based in our office on Karangahape Road in Auckland, New Zealand; with some days of the week optionally remote. We are also supportive of fully remote members in New Zealand.