Lead UX Designer
Our team are a great bunch of people - a mix of experience, supportive like no other, wonderfully diverse and passionate about always making a difference.
Our purpose is to help everyday people access the financial system, while limiting criminal exploitation.
We've created a world-class SaaS product that solves our customers due diligence problems so that they can stay focussed on running their business. A few of the great names we work with in New Zealand are Hobson Wealth, Blackbird, KPMG and Ray White (financial institutions, accountants, law firms, venture capitalists and real estate agents).
Since 2018 we have experienced exponential growth, secured amazing funding and have gone from a handful of staff to 130+. Based on our success across New Zealand and Australia we are excited to have recently launched in the UK.
We will always work hard to ensure that you understand the positive role that you play in our team.
Diversity & Inclusion at First AML.
Diversity and inclusion is something we are passionate about. We are continuously looking for ways to make improvements across the business and are proud of our safe & inclusive workplace; we encourage people to bring their authentic selves to work.
Our Product team.
Our Product Team is led by Leonie Wise - VP of Product. Leonie is an enthusiastic and engaging leader who empowers her team so our product continues to help everyday people access the financial system while limiting criminal exploitation.
We love to collaborate - With a dedicated Product Manager and Designer assigned to an engineering team. This way of working creates a great team environment where it nurtures our passion of delivering an exceptional product.
Some of the tools we use
We currently use Sketch as our design tool and have started building out a design system and component library using Notion. We use Miro for collaborating and encourage lo-fi (pen & paper) for sharing early ideas. We use Dovetail as our research repository and Roadmunk for our roadmaps.
It would be great if you had experience using these but if not that’s ok by us. At First AML we foster an environment where everyone can learn and grow; we’d be more than happy to share our wisdom with you and would like to learn from you too!
As our Lead UX Designer you will:
• Create designs that not only deliver what is expected from the project / feature requirements, but extends beyond them by leveraging interactivity, creativity & experimentation.
• Actively support other designers in the team through the use of peer reviews at various stages of the design process. These include planning prototype testing / ideation sessions, early lo-fi prototype walkthroughs, final design approaches and any changes to the design system and component library.
• Lead the design direction and strategy of our full platform experience, taking into consideration both the needs of our customers and the direction we’re heading as a business.
• Be involved in the end-to-end process of designing products. From research and discovery, validation, launching and post-launch improvement. Collaboration is a key part of this process and you’d be bringing both internal and external people along on the journey with you.
• Bring design leadership to the team, including regular design reviews and feedback, support and coaching, promoting good design processes and facilitating design innovation
• Lead initiatives to shape and evolve our UX & Design practice
• Co-own, develop and maintain the design system, style and usability guidelines.
• Partner closely with the product management team to drive UX design roadmap planning and prioritisation that is in complete alignment with, and with clear support of, the product roadmap.
• Conduct walkthroughs at various stages of the design journey – from early thinking using hand-drawn sketches through to hi-fidelity designs – all in the spirit of visibility and to gather feedback from others in the team whose perspectives differ from your own.
• Proactively seek ways to continuously improve efficient, collaborative design and development processes with stakeholders and the VP Product
• Support the VP product with the recruitment and hiring of new team members.
You may be a good fit if you:
• Have 5+ years experience as a Senior UX designer / 2+ years experience as a UX design lead, working on a SaaS product
• Have the experience (or desire) to build and scale a design practice and build the profile of UX within a global company
• Have a passion for best practices, including Lean UX and Human Centered Design, and have designed complex software products that suit a global market
• Have proven experience with both in-person and remote user testing and an ability to plan and conduct research, as well as synthesising and sharing results.
• Love to consider long-term sustainability in all design decisions and maintain an eye for reusability in designs. You have an excellent ability to demonstrate systems thinking.
• Are comfortable with questioning any prior decisions we’ve made and suggesting approaches for how we might improve both our product and our practice.
• Enjoy the impact you can have working in small teams and value the collaboration they bring.
• You believe great products come from great teams.
• See an opportunity for growth in the things you don't know, and you’re okay with sometimes being a little out of your depth.
Our culture and values make us who we are. We’d love to connect with like-minded people who align with our values and want to make a positive impact on our culture.
We’re passionate about our recruitment process and we genuinely enjoy getting to know people!
We spend a good amount of time reviewing applications, especially as this is our first chance at getting to know you. If your application aligns with our values we will give you a call to learn a little more about you. Next, we will set up a virtual ‘meet & greet’ with one of our amazing team members. This is a great opportunity to chat about all things tech along with asking any questions about our team and culture too. Here, you may be invited to complete a 2 hour coding activity - there is no deadline for this, we’ll work with your schedule. Based on how things are going so far, the next step would be a formal interview with some of our wider team.
Communication is really important to us, and we will always make sure that we keep all of our candidates updated along the way.
We want you to bring your full self to work everyday! Your voice will be valued and heard, you’ll have an impact and have a lot of fun along the way.
• Diversity & Inclusion - We care passionately about diversity & equity within our teams. We have a Diversity & Inclusion Employee Resources Group that actively helps to make First AML a great place to work for everyone.
• Wellbeing Programme - Your holistic wellbeing is our number one priority. You’ll have access to subsidised medical appointments, EAP counseling (for you & your family), weekly meditation, yoga and healthy snacks.
• Family Friendly - Your family is part of our team too and our parental leave policy has been designed to ensure that. There are sometimes little ones in the office too.
• Work From Home Policy - We offer flexible working hours, working from home to no meeting days. We’ll work with you to create something that best suits you.
Training Allowance - $2,000 allowance dedicated to you for growth and professional development - it’s up to you how to spend it!
• Social Side - We have regular social events, from shared lunches, team outings and quiz nights.
• Plus our snack cupboard is always chocka!
If we have piqued your interest, apply today. If you are not too sure if this role is right for you just now, but you would love to catch up for a coffee to connect, let's make that happen by dropping us a message.
Where to find us