You’ll play a key role as part of our mobile team, working alongside other engineers to ensure a seamless user experience for our prospective, new and existing customers. You’ll be expected to help set the technical direction of the iOS app and help advocate for the mobile experience across the business. You’ll have the opportunity to build out a new, robust, scalable, modern platform alongside developing new features in a fast-paced but rewarding environment.
Your Responsibilities will include:
- Working with the mobile Technical Owner to design and build a modern and scalable platform to support the future of iOS development at Hnry
- Engaging with customers and all members of the business to actively identify problems and propose solutions
- Maintaining and deepening our existing user-facing feature set, ensuring delightful experiences which are consistent with our web offering
- Working alongside other engineers to make sure we are providing our customers with the best tools and dashboards to support them in all aspects of being self-employed individuals
- Following best practices in building robust and reliable software and encourage the same among colleagues
- Take responsibility for delivering functionality from concept through to production release and post-release maintenance
- Produce work that meets the expected level of test coverage and improve test coverage across the existing codebase
- Provide detailed code reviews to colleagues, sharing your knowledge and ensuring that standards are maintained
- Design the architecture of new features and present this back to the team for feedback
- Collaborate with and support other members of the wider Hnry team
- Mentor and provide support to other members of the team
How we work:
- We follow agile practices, delivering improvements iteratively in small chunks. We track the impact of our work and measure ourselves on results, not the amount of code written.
- We’re growing fast, and are focused on building a well designed, scalable & robust platform. In some areas of the work (e.g. payment processing) there is very little margin for error.
- Our web and backend technology platform is built in Ruby on Rails, and we also use a bunch of AWS services (via Terraform), Postgres, Docker, and a little bit of React.
- Our mobile platforms are hybrid solutions which use Turbolinks to support us in building native features.
- We have automated tests, continuous integration, and release to production regularly.
- We review each other’s code, and set aside time for hacking on experimental features, refactoring and/or learning new things.
- We work hard and finish on time, no crazy hours.
- Have at least two years’ experience building iOS apps
- Have experience with the fundamentals of iOS development (Swift + SwiftUI)
- Have experience with designing and architecting iOS apps from scratch
- Have experience with managing CI/CD pipelines
- Care about writing clean, maintainable and efficient code, and improving existing code, both for your peers and future you
- Be confident using distributed development tools such as GitHub and Slack
- Contribute in all phases of the development lifecycle
- Work in a product team, alongside product owners and designers
- Be able to take complex problems, break them down, and build robust solutions
- Approach problems with a curious mindset and empathy for the end user, always considering the impact of changes
- Have excellent communication and collaboration skills — we work together and succeed as a team
- Have experience with automated testing
- Enjoy discussions about software/product design and crafting solutions
- Have NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa
Bonus points for the following:
- Experience with using Turbolinks to build hybrid apps
- Experience with Android development
- Experience being self-employed (freelancing, contracting etc) in any industry/profession
- $50 monthly staff wellness benefit
- Additional day of annual leave for your birthday
- Gifts of share options for high performing staff
- Continuous remuneration review cycles (pay rises for high performers aren’t reserved for ‘annual reviews’)
- A clear focus on professional development, with encouragement to attend training courses, conferences etc - all during work time