You’ll play a key role leading our Engineering Team, owning people management and the continuous improvement of our Engineering practice. You’ll collaborate with teams across Hnry, ensuring our team, product, platform and ways of working continue to support our users and the wider Hnry team as we grow.
Your responsibilities will include:
- People management and leadership of Engineers, seeking excellence in engineering practices across all disciplines using industry best-practices, reporting into the Head of Engineering.
- Leading improvements to our Engineering practice which ensure we continue to deliver measurable impact as we grow.
- Leads a culture of accountability and responsibility around delivery, and creating an environment where engineers can deliver consistent, high quality product
- Coaching and mentoring the team, creating personal and professional development plans to ensure we can attract and engage top talent
- Growing the engineering team, recruiting in new engineers to bring new skills and capabilities into the team, aligning with Hnry’s strong culture and values
- Building strong relationships with all members of the business to actively identify problems and propose solutions, based on customer insights and data
- Collaborate with and support other members of the wider Hnry team, to deliver the right outcomes for Hnry customers
- Striking the balance between perfection and short-term impact across the team
How we work
- We are a fast-moving, highly collaborative and motivated company, that is growing quickly
- We have a relentless focus on the customer, and on delivering great experiences to ensure we maintain our high rate of customer referrals
- We take a data-driven approach to everything we do, making decisions based on user behaviour - constantly tweaking and optimising to improve.
- We follow agile practices, delivering improvements iteratively in small chunks. We track the impact of our work and measure ourselves based on delivering tangible contributions towards agreed targets.
- We encourage experimentation - whether that's experimenting with new tools or techniques, or experimenting with new technologies
- Our current technology platform is built in Ruby on Rails, and we also use a bunch of AWS services (via Terraform), Postgres, Docker, and a little bit of React.
- We invest in our people, and provide opportunities for career growth and progression
- We work hard and we finish on time, no crazy hours.
- Be a self-motivated team-player, driven to achieve, and excited by the potential of leading and growing an experienced team of engineers
- Have experience in building, leading, and motivating technical teams, with a strong track record of technical delivery, even though hands-on technical delivery is not a part of this role.
- Have many years of people management experience, and the confidence to lean in to supporting people teams through inevitable challenges as we grow
- Be flexible and open to change, with a strong desire to achieve the best within a constantly evolving environment
- Have excellent oral communication and presentation skills, the ability to bring people on a journey, as well as being able to communicate clearly and with empathy
- Be well-organised and able to manage and prioritise a multitude of different activities concurrently
- Be able to bring your own ideas to the table, be driven and motivated to hit goals, and have the skills to make those ideas a reality
- Have excellent collaboration skills, and the ability to build strong, lasting relationships with both technical, and non-technical staff
Bonus points for the following:
- Experience scaling engineering teams within fast moving and fast growing businesses
- Experience building large scale systems
- Hands-on experience of working with Ruby on Rails, React, and Postgres
- Experience being self-employed (freelancing, contracting etc) in any industry/profession
- $50 monthly staff wellness benefit
- Additional day of annual leave for your birthday
- Gifts of share options for high performing staff
- Continuous remuneration review cycles (pay rises for high performers aren’t reserved for ‘annual reviews’)
- A clear focus on professional development, with encouragement to attend training courses, conferences etc - all during work time