You’ll play a key role as part of our Engineering Team, taking responsibility and ownership over delivering a seamless user experience for new users as they join the Hnry platform. You’ll be expected to take ownership of the strategic technical direction of the Hnry platform, mixing being hands-on writing code alongside working collaboratively with other engineers to drive feature delivery.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Engaging with customers and all members of the business to actively identify problems and propose solutions
- Thinking strategically about the future direction of your areas of the feature set, and working with other Technical Owners to collaborate and align
- Working alongside other engineers to make sure we are providing our customers with the best on-boarding experience with Hnry, whether they are new to self-employment, or whether they already use alternative systems
- Taking technical accountability for creating seamless user experiences
- Take responsibility for delivering functionality from concept through to production release and post-release maintenance
- Ensuring you, and those around you follow best practices in building robust and reliable software
- Produce work that meets the expected level of test coverage and improve test coverage across the existing codebase
- Provide detailed code reviews to colleagues, sharing your knowledge and ensuring that standards are maintained
- Design the architecture of new features and present this back to the team for feedback
- Mentor and provide support to other members of the team
- Collaborate with and support other members of the wider Hnry team
How we work
- We follow agile practices, delivering improvements iteratively in small chunks. We track the impact of our work and measure ourselves on results, not the amount of code written.
- We’re growing fast, and are focused on building a well designed, scalable & robust platform. In some areas of the work (e.g. payment processing) there is very little margin for error.
- Our technology platform is built in Ruby on Rails, and we also use a bunch of AWS services (via Terraform), Postgres, Docker, and a little bit of React.
- We have automated tests, continuous deployment, and release to production multiple times per day.
- We review each others code, and set aside time for hacking on experimental features, refactoring and/or learning new things.
- We work hard and finish on time, no crazy hours.
- Have a good understanding of front-end technologies
- Care about writing clean, maintainable and efficient code, and improving existing code, both for your peers and future you
- Be confident using distributed development tools such as GitHub and Slack
- Have an understanding of test/behaviour-driven development, cross-browser compatibility issues
- Contribute in all phases of the development lifecycle
- Be comfortable with numbers, not scared of some algebra and basic statistics concepts
- Be able to take complex problems, break them down, and build robust solutions
- Approach problems with a curious mindset and empathy for the end user, always considering the impact of changes
- Actively monitor systems, identify problems and propose solutions
- Have excellent communication and collaboration skills — we work together and succeed as a team
- Have experience with automated testing
- Enjoy discussions about software/product design and crafting solutions
Bonus points for the following:
- Experience building large scale systems
- Experience being self-employed (freelancing, contracting etc) in any industry/profession
- $50 monthly staff wellness benefit
- Additional day of annual leave for your birthday
- Gifts of share options for high performing staff
- Continuous remuneration review cycles (pay rises for high performers aren’t reserved for ‘annual reviews’)
- A clear focus on professional development, with encouragement to attend training courses, conferences etc - all during work time