We are looking for an Intermediate Back-end Engineer to join our team in Newmarket. The ideal candidate is an experienced Engineer, who knows what it takes to ship great code and is eager to learn. This is a great opportunity to work with a diverse bunch of skilled Engineers, be immersed in a culture of excellence, and to grow into a Senior Engineer.
This role will mainly be focussing on backend, but you may also be involved in frontend work if you show interest.
Engineering @ Lightspeed:
- We build new features on top of a modern stack, consisting of web apps (in a mix of Angular & React) communicating through APIs to Go services, backed by databases and Kafka topics, all deployed using Docker in a continuous delivery cycle to AWS
- You don’t need to have experience in any of our specific technologies: we’re great at teaching good engineers how to use our modern SaaS stack
- We don't follow rigid Scrum or Kanban, but we do work in an agile, iterative way, and try to continuously improve and implement what works for us
- We deploy changes to production every 7 minutes, on average
What you’ll be doing:
- Build stuff: this means coding, delivering new features, code reviews, fixing bugs, peer programming and incident response
- Own and be accountable for features and high-leverage coding projects
- Structure projects into small, actionable tasks to deliver the most value in no time
- Collaborate with engineers, product managers and designers to help plan the work ahead
- Learn and teach: knowledge sharing, chapter reviews, demos, mentoring fellow engineers
- Work on common services, shared libraries, upgrade/introduce new tooling or libraries, documentation, evolve best practices and processes etc.
What you need to bring:
We're looking for a candidate who has experience with the following:
- Previous experience as a Back-end Engineer including both successes and failures (“scars”), which help you make better decisions
- Experience in working on major systems in one or more languages: ideally you’ve built REST API endpoints on top of data storage layers, and understand concepts like authentication, web security, and the way that frontends consume APIs
We know that people are more than what’s on their CV. If you’re unsure that you have the right profile for the role... hit the ‘Apply’ button and give it a try!
What’s in it for you?
Come live the Lightspeed experience...
- Ability to do your job in a truly flexible environment;
- Genuine career opportunities in a company that’s creating new jobs everyday;
- Work in a team big enough for growth but lean enough to make a real impact.
… and enjoy a range of benefits that’ll keep you happy, healthy and (not) hungry:
- Lightspeed share scheme (we are all owners)
- Unlimited paid time off policy
- Work remotely from anywhere in the world for up to 60 days per year
- Flexible working policy
- Health and wellness benefit of $500 per year
- Mental health online platform and counselling & coaching services
- Paid leave and assistance for new parents
- LinkedIn Learning license
- Volunteer day
- Secure, full-time carpark
- Dog-friendly environment
- Free fresh fruits, snacks and drinks (and cake for your birthday!)
- Awesome office space located in Newmarket (Auckland)